Sciatica refers to a pain that radiates along the sciatic nerve. It is the largest spinal nerve, starting from the lower spine nerves in the back and travelling down the back of the leg. The sciatica nerve holds the responsibility to control the muscles of the thigh, knee and lower legs. Sciatica occurs in the lower back, radiates deep into the buttock, and travels down the leg. Knowing the symptoms and its causes can help with early diagnosis and effective treatment.
Dr Sumeet Pawar offers effective and affordable sciatica treatment in Mumbai. With 23000+ cases related to back pain and spine treatment. Dr Pawar has become the most-trusted doctor for all kinds of spine-related conditions.
What are the symptoms of Sciatica?
The symptoms of Sciatica can be categorized by one of the following features:
- Pain: A constant burning sensation or a throbbing pain starting from the lower back and radiates down the front or back of the thigh or leg or feet.
- Numbness: Some patients report of pain accompanied by numbness in the back of their leg.
- One-sided symptoms: In most cases, Sciatica affects one side of the leg. The patient feels heaviness in their leg. Rarely, patients complain of heaviness in both their legs.
- Posture-Induced symptoms: Patients struggling to sit down, stand up, or bend their posture while sitting/standing. The symptoms often feel relieved when applied heat back down the pelvic region.
What Causes Sciatica?
Some of the common medical condition that may triggers Sciatica are:
- A herniated lumbar disc
- Lumbar spinal stenosis
- Lumbar degenerative disc disease (degenerative changes in vertebrae and disc)
- Muscle spasm or inflammation of the lumbar or pelvic region
- Sacroiliac joint dysfunction
- In sporadic cases, tumours and blood clots in the lower spine can trigger Sciatica condition.
When to Visit Doctor?
Dr Sumeet Pawar, a well-renowned and accomplished back pain specialist in Mumbai, encourage patients to immediately report to the doctor in case their back pain or sciatica causes discomfort or trouble performing activities. When daily activities of living are affected, you should visit a doctor. Visit the best Neurosurgeon in Mumbai immediately if the following situation arises:
- Progressive neurological symptoms such as leg weakness
- Numbness in both the legs
- Bowel and/or bladder dysfunction
- Sexual dysfunction
We invite you to book an appointment with Dr Sumeet Pawar for safe, effective, and affordable sciatica treatment in Mumbai.